Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Golden Foot




"
One day there wasn't a "Tard Cart" available so I pushed Jon in his wheel chair and he pushed the cart. It was quite the sight!
Jon broke his right foot in June while walking.  He went to the Dr and got a walking boot.  He didn't slow down though and kept working at Walmart unloading trucks.  He soon learned that walking boots are not really made for walking.  It wore a sore on his foot.  Being a diabetic this was not good. It became infected immediately.  He was hospitalized in July for 4 days.  Then for 6 weeks after that we returned to the hospital every day for an  IV infusion of antibiotics.  He also visited Wound Care at the hospital at least 2 times a week.  The infusions were kinda fun for us.  I was on summer break so I would go with him.  We read a lot of good books together as we sat and waited for the IV to do its job.  Jon also became a favorite patient, because he would come in and take his own vital signs and prep his infusions spot for them.  They even let me get the IV going a couple of times.  I wouldn't say it is something we would want to do again, but we did make some good memories.  Jon's foot still isn't completely healed.  The infection is gone, but there is still a bit of a sore.  He goes to Wound Care once a week and gets the sore treated and a new cast put on.  His favorite color of cast has been a neon green.  It almost glows in the dark.  He has a neon shirt and jacket that match it.  (Jon has a style of of his own.  Things that don't match or are taboo are okay for Jon because he is Jon and gets away with wearing whatever he feels like.)  The foot is still broken and there is a possible surgery in the future to help the tendons hold his foot the right way.  We bought a knee scooter to help Jon get around.  He has had a lot of fun with it. I won't be surprised if he continues to ride it even after his foot is healed.  He really wants to motorize it.  To me that is just another hospital visit waiting to happen!  The closest thing he is going to get are the motorized carts at Walmart.  We call them "Tard Carts."  I know it is really disrespectful, but now that Jon has ridden on them many times. I don't feel quite so bad.  Jon has really tried to make the most of this.  It has been hard for him to be down and out for so long.  In my next post I'll tell you about the blessing in the way of a job that we received.

No comments:

Post a Comment